Have you ever stayed awake all night just because of the sound caused by a leaky faucet? Well, we did, and we must admit it has been one of the most irritating experiences so far. This is a problem that should not be ignored. A leaky faucet will make you suffer when you receive water bills. And more importantly, it causes a serious waste of water which you hardly think about.
Fortunately, you do not need to be a professional plumber to fix this problem. A leaky faucet can be handled easily by anyone with little special techniques.
That’s what this article covers – how to fix a leaky faucet. We will show you the simplest way to cope with a leaky faucet and save your budget.
What Causes A Leaky Faucet?
Before you jump into fixing the faucet, it is necessary to find out why it happens. Many possible factors can lead to a leaky faucet in your house. We will shed light on the most common ones.
Undeniably, this is the most significant cause for a leaky faucet. If you notice steady drip, perhaps it is time you thought about replacing the washer inside.
Throughout time, the washer will be worn out due to the friction and this leads to leaks. Besides, the higher the likelihood that leaks might come from the incorrect installation of the washer or perhaps its wrong size.
Not only the washer but also the seals could be responsible for this problem. Because the inside seals have to deal with too much pressure to allows the water to flow normally, it is likely for them to be broken or damaged. As a result, leaky faucet occurs.
Unusual as it is, broken plumbing is a cause for a dripping faucet as well. It refers to broken pipe and fitting. You can notice cracks under the sink. When cracks, along with water pressure, resulting in the issues, it is possible that dripping faucet happens over time.
In this case, it might be essential to have a plumber check the condition, especially the water pipes. Once you are suspicious about cracks, the best way is getting professional help.
Water pressure should be a concern only when the faucet drips several times on a daily basis. Or maybe it happens due to some specific behaviors. In such circumstances, the probability for water pressure causing the problem is higher. Thanks to water pressure, water can flow away from a number of points. But it also means that leaks will happen somewhere else.
This type of leaky faucet is not something serious. Nevertheless, you should start reducing water pressure a little bit. Otherwise, the problem will get worse over time, and you might end up having a plumber repair it.
The cartridge is one of the most possible causes for a leaky faucet, and it is important to address this problem as soon as possible. Fixing worn-out cartridge is not challenging, but you have to get a matching cartridge. The suitable one should fit the gap resulting from the original faucet.
Many people asked us how to find the suitable cartridge. The answer is simple, just pick up the appropriate size. You had better make some measurements before and after removing the cartridge.
How to Fix A Leaky Faucet
No matter what causes leaky faucet in your kitchen or bathroom, it is necessary to end it immediately. Or you will experience a series of sleepless nights and high water bills at the end of the month.
It is possible to fix it on your own, instead of waiting for a plumber to go and check it. You will be clear about how to fix a leaky faucet after learning these techniques from us.
- First of all, you have to turn off the water. Finding pipes under the sink, you will notice handles which you can use your strength to switch off the water. Normally, twisting clockwise will allow you to shut it off.
- Next, plug the drain. Nobody wants to see a washer or screw be stuck on the drain.
- Then, you have to figure out which type your faucet belongs to. This might be quite difficult for amateurs, but don't worry, We will explain further to you as follows.
If you notice two screw handles which are responsible for cold and hot water, it is the compression faucet. This is by far the simplest kind of faucet that you can find out by sight.
Besides, the other three types have one similar characteristic, that is the existence of only one central arm. This arm can be moved to get hot or cold water as you desired.
If your faucet looks like that, then you might want to take it apart to detect the exact kind. The only way to know is to look at their different internal mechanisms. If it is a ball faucet, you will see a ball bearing inside. If there is a ceramic cylinder then it is a ceramic-disk faucet. And if your faucet is a cartridge faucet then it must have a cartridge inside. Each cartridge faucet might have a cartridge of different materials, but its handle usually contains a decorative cap.
Fixing Compression Faucet
- First, unscrew and start removing the handle.
- Then, you will need a wrench to take the nut out. Once it is finished, you can see the stem lying on the seat washer. Normally, rubber is used to make the seat washer; therefore, it might be worn out over time. This may be the main cause for your leaky faucet.
- Get the stem out. If you find leaky handles, the O-ring in the stem should be replaced. You can easily find similar ones in your local hardware store.
- Get the seat washer out and replace it. It is crucial to find an exact match. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money.
- Finish by reassembling the handle carefully
Fixing Ball Faucet
For this type, you will need several special tools. Thus, you need a replacement kit that can be found in many home repair stores across the country
- Unscrew and remove the handle as well.
- The cap, as well as the collar, should be removed with the help of pliers. You should also make your faucet come loose.
- Utilize needle-nose pliers in the kit to go deeply into the mechanism so that you can have its seals and springs removed.
- Once you find the O-rings, replace them with new ones.
- You should also replace your valve seats, cam washers, and springs.
- The work is done, and all you need to do is to reassemble its handle.
Don't forget to test the running water to see if the problem is solved. For cartridge faucet, you can get very detailed instructions on repairing its leaks in this video. Check out this one for the ceramic-disk faucet.
In general, leaky faucet should not be a problem that drives you crazy. It is very simple to learn how to fix a leaky faucet on your own, as long as you are willing to spend a little time and effort.
We hope that you have got all useful information to fix tiny problems right in your house. Don't forget to like and share this article to help many other people.